This year the Breheny Group celebrate their 60th anniversary! This is a significant milestone that reflects the hard work, dedication and commitment of the entire team over the years. Since they were founded, they have turned over in excess of £2 billion.
Breheny was founded in 1963 by Jack Breheny when he moved from Galway to Lowestoft. Jack was a bricklayer by trade and mainly worked on local housing schemes and drainage projects in the Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth area. Under Jack Breheny and subsequently, his son, John Breheny’s leadership, the company grew and expanded its scope of operations to include major infrastructure projects, commercial and residential developments, and environmental projects. Today, the Breheny Group is a well-respected and successful construction firm with a diverse portfolio of projects across the UK. The Breheny Group now covers over 5 locations with offices in Needham Market in Suffolk, Huntingdon in Cambridgeshire, West Malling in Kent, Southampton in Hampshire and Doncaster in South Yorkshire. The company currently employs over 330 staff and is a massive advocate for growing their own talent, with their trainee/apprentice scheme setting the foundation for multiple successful careers with over 90% of their senior management team starting off as trainees.
John Breheny comments.
“I am extremely proud that the business my parents founded is celebrating its 60th anniversary. The construction industry is notoriously turbulent and we have weathered recessions and more recently a global pandemic. I look forward to seeing our business’ continued success.”
As the Breheny Group celebrates this milestone, it is an opportunity to reflect on the company’s history and achievements, as well as to look forward to the future. With a strong reputation for excellence, a talented team of professionals, and a commitment to innovation and sustainability, the Breheny Group is well positioned to continue its success for many years to come. Their business has impacted the lives of many and laid the foundations for many successful careers.
Some of the construction project highlights from the past 60 years include;
- Highways and Infrastructure: The Breheny Group has completed numerous highway and infrastructure projects, including the Bury St Edmunds Eastern Relief Road, Bedford Western Bypass and the Lowestoft Relief Road.
- Bridges: The Breheny Group has built many bridges of differing types and sizes, including Hawksmill Bridge at Needham Market, the Midland Main Line in Bedford and the River Bure in Wroxham.
- Commercial and Residential Developments: The Breheny Group has been involved in the construction of a variety of commercial and residential developments, such as the Ipswich Waterfront Regeneration, St. John’s Innovation Park in Cambridge and Marham Park in Bury St Edmunds.
- Flood and Coastal Defences: The Breheny Group has worked on several flood and coastal defence projects, including the Hopton and Corton Coastal Management Scheme, sea defence works at Margate, Felixstowe Ferry and the River Blackwater Flood Alleviation Scheme.
- Environmental Projects: The Breheny Group has also been involved in many environmental projects, such as the Bury St. Edmunds Recycling Centre, Felixstowe Seafront Gardens and the Newmarket Equine Hospital.
Andrew Fleming comments.
“We are delighted to be celebrating this milestone birthday – I have witnessed the business’ growth firsthand and am honoured to have played a part in it. I joined Breheny Civil Engineering in 1989 as a Quantity Surveyor and in 2020 I was promoted to joint Managing Director.”
Simon Burnside comments.
“It is great to celebrate this milestone anniversary! Having been with the business for a number of years, I have progressed to joint Managing Director. I look forward to leading the continued and sustainable growth of the business.”